My office recently had a chili competition, and these were the two best rated chilis — the pork green chili was #1, and the white chicken chili was #2. Just posting both recipes here for future reference!
Whole Hog Green Chili
2/3 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 cup all purpose flour
3 quarts chicken broth
48 oz. (3 each – 16 oz.) bottles of Salsa Verde (Med.)
4-5 pounds cooked pork shoulder brisket or whole hog coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons ground cumin
6 large cloves of garlic minced
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
6 jalapeno peppers (remove seeds & membranes) finely diced
5 fresh tomatillos cut to fine dice
1-2 large red onions (softball size about 2 c.) cut to fine dice
1/8 cup chipotle flavored hot sauce (about 25 shakes)
Note: you will need to prepare or purchase cooked pork shoulder or whole hog
Roux: in a large stock pot or roasting pan, whisk together the oil and flour to make a roux and bring to a vigorous bubble over med-high heat. Cook, stirring constantly for 3-6 minutes. DON’T LET THIS BURN. Carefully and slowly add the chicken broth (watch out for splattering) while whisking, creating a slightly thickened sauce when done.
Chili: Return to a boil and stir in the first of the ingredients. Bring mixture to a simmer (350 degrees) and stir occasionally for 30-40 minutes. If you have a temperature controlled crock-pot or roasting pan you can then let the mixture slow-simmer at 200 degrees for 4-5 hours to meld the flavors. Kosher salt to taste.
White Chicken Chili Recipe
Burrito Seasoning Packet
½ lb. Great Northern White Beans (6 -15oz cans)
3 lb. Chicken breasts
2 Spanish Onions diced
2 Tbsp. Garlic minced
3 jalapenos diced
3 Tbsp. Chili Powder
2 Tbsp. Ground Cumin
¼ cup flour
6 cups chicken stock
5 cups ½ & ½
2 Tbsp. Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp. Franks Hot Sauce
3 Tbsp. Worcestershire
1 ½ lb. Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Bake chicken seasoned with burrito seasoning. Shred.
- Melt butter in pot and cook onions, garlic, and jalapenos until onions are translucent.
- Add chili powder, cumin and flour and cook while stirring for about 5 minutes.
- Add everything else except cheese.
- When beans are cooked add cheese cooking and stirring only until cheese is melted. Best if served right away. If you are cooking ahead of time (like I did for the cook off) add cheese right before serving. It makes a huge amount, what was brought to the cook off was only about half of what it made!